peter pilsl wrote:

Ok - I finally solved the mystery.
I had only one single libperl.so on my system in /usr/local/lib and even this one was too much.

Using ldd I discovered that my new failing mod_perl.so was linked against this libperl.so while my old working mod_perl.so wasnt linked against any libperl.so. So I removed this libperl.so and compiled mod_perl from the scratch and everything was going fine.

So it was a leftover from a old system. Digging a bit deeper showed that it was left behind by my good old perl5.6.1 :)

I still dont understand why my new perl5.8.5 does not have a libperl.so

because your new perl was compiled to be static:

*** /usr/local/bin/perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 5) configuration:
[...]
    libc=/lib/libc-2.2.4.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a

so you have libperl.a instead.

and why mod_perl can live very well without it.

because it now includes the whole libperl.a archive inside mod_perl.so. It's a good idea to avoid that. When using libperl.so and more than one application is linked against it, the system loads it only once, saving some memory and startup time (when more than one app using that libperl.so is running at the same time).

But it's not too bad if it doesn't.