I've been doing this with mod_perl 2.. here's the relative parts of my
config:
============
  Alias /dav_files /home/users

  #
  # hook into the other phases for
  #
  <Location /dav_files>
        PerlOutputFilterHandler MyEncrypt::output
        PerlInputFilterHandler  MyEncrypt::input

        PerlSetOutputFilter     DEFLATE

        #
        # Request Phase Handlers
        #
        PerlAuthenHandler        MyAuthenticate

        AuthType basic
        AuthName "xxx"
        Require valid-user
        Satisfy all
  </Location>

  #
  # Actual access to the files.... use will be already authenticated
  #
  <Directory /home/users/*/>
        AllowOverride   None
        DAV on
  </Directory>

Hope this helps.

To the list:
My encryption is proprietary based on the PW the user sends... anyone know a
tested symmetric streaming (not block) encryption algoritm?

Jeff