could someone who has worked w/mod perl longer than I have give me some feedback on this approach to webapps i've been using lately:

• the modperl handler creates a 'user' of the web app based on the apache request
the 'user' handles all the session management, login, etc
my $user = new myApp::User( $r );
• the handler then creates a 'page' of the webapp as such
my $page = new myApp::Page( $user );
then calls it to render
my $outputHTML = $page->render()

the myApp::Page is a perl mod that pulls the request info off of the user object, and correlates that to the user profile

everything is a perlmod that is pre-compiled. subclasses of myApp::Page are the page content areas

It sounds crazy, and probably is.

playing around for a while, i realized that the dynamic stuff of the pages for what i'm doing are 90% served out of a DB , repeatedly called, and everything in terms of templating/standardizing really inherits its design from the parent sections (perhaps its too oop bringing it into visual layout too?).

i'd imagine that i'd get a decent performance gain by just doing all of this as a perlmod that is preloaded at startup -- which is kind of like what I've done with python webapps under the twisted framework before.