which perl
perl -v
perldoc DBD::mysql

ok, here you are:

from ~/
which perl
/opt/local/bin/perl

perl -v
This is perl, v5.8.6 built for darwin-2level

perldoc DBD::mysql
No documentation found for "DBD::mysql"

Mind you I'm in the process of reinstalling DBD::mysql...

What I'm going to try is reinstalling DBD from source.  I'm hoping that
will clear up issues with the linked mysql library.

I think I've isolated it to a mysql.sock issue.  Perl will only
look for a non-exsisting dyld as follows:

dyld: /usr/sbin/httpd can't open library: /sw/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.14.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
[Thu Feb 10 01:14:20 2005] [notice] child pid 2914 exit signal Trace/BPT trap (5)

It's was a database that I installed hoping it would help the source DBD install.
Instead it made it so I could use the database I wanted to use. I already know
about the passing socket to DBI->connect(), but I can't find any mysql.sock other
than the default one set up with the mysql package installer from:
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/

I even tried to uninstall it using the steps described on his site, no luck.
I installed the darwinport mysql, and am hoping I can get my DBD::mysql to
use that one, instead. But when I issue:
/opt/local/bin/mysqlcheck
I get the following error:
/opt/local/bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61) when trying to connect
Which makes me think the mysql databases are all set up to use the same mysql.sock.

I'm not sure, but I think that's a problem. Not sure how to correct it yet either, but
I'm reading up on it....