Perrin Harkins wrote:

I wonder if it has something to do with SMP. It would be good to try it on a kernel that is not compiled for SMP. It might be worth compiling your own kernel to test it.

Running a non-threaded perl is always a good idea if you are not using
threads. Performance will be better too.mercy

I re-booted into the 2.6.10-1.12_FC2 (non-SMP) kernel. No difference.

Then, I tried going back to an earlier kernel, 2.6.8-1.521smp to be exact. In that case, the shared memory jumped from 4M to 15M! That still leaves 55M unshared, but the kernel seems to be part of the equation. Thanks for the clue, Perrin! I'm not sure if there is a problem with 2.6.10 or if 2.6.8 was the kernel on the machine when I originally compiled perl.

Has anyone else seen problems with the 2.6.10 kernel?

I guess my next step is to re-compile perl and see where that leads me.

Take care,

Kurt Hansen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]