Anders Nielsen wrote:
On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 21:11 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:

Please see:
21.7. Hanging Processes: Detection and Diagnostics
http://modperlbook.org/html/ch21_07.html

Thank you for the reply.

The problem I described happened again and I was able to get some more
information.

The server isn't actually hanging. I put a print STDERR statement in the
end of the script and it shows up in the error log. The problems is that
the client doesn't get the response from the server for some reason.

Our scripst usually ends with a print statement that sends the output to
STDOUT. When I removed this statement the clients got a (empty) reply.
Before they where getting no reply at all.

For debugging purposes I created a script with one parameter called $x.
The script prints the character 'a' as many times as a parameter says
(print 'a' x $x).

I found out that on small values for $x the script worked while the
client got no reply for big values. I found the limit (15.982.236) where
the script worked but if I added 1 the client wouldn't get the reply.
This limit seemed to change after a while however.

I hope you or somebody else has some idea of what is wrong. Or at least
can give me something to look for next time the problem occur.

Anders, do you by chance use a proxy that may have eaten the response?

What do you see in logs/access_log, it tells how many bytes were sent to the client.

What happens if you replace print($x) with Apache->request->print($x)