Apache::Upload seems to be working fine -- as long as I upload something

If i upload nothing, i get all sorts of errors. i assumed I would get them, as this problem came about while I was trying to work in routines for handling data of the wrong type. I just can't figure out how one catches the errors.

so, how does one validate the integrity of an upload (in terms of something actually being uploaded). trying to access any aspect of the upload object triggers an error, and the docs dont show me any sort of other way to access the error.