I'm logging some closure to this one...  I was able to get this to
work by modifying the priorities of
mod_perl/src/modules/perlmod_perl.c's http output filter to
AP_FTYPE_CONTENT_SET-1, and then
httpd-2.0.53/modules/experimental/mod_cache.c's cache_save and
cache_out filter to AP_FTYPE_CONTENT_SET-2.  Everything works! :)

Note this change impacts all mod_perl apps running on your system.
There are no other conflicts with Apache's built-in handlers and
filters that I could see, although that could change in the future.  I
also think it might be a useful feature to be able to set mod_perl's
filter priority either programmatically, or at least as a compile-time
option.

thanks
Jeff