Sometimes something similar happens to me when I'm working on my dev machine and have automatic reloading turned on via Apache::Reload

Many times, Apache::Reload doesn't pick up the file change, or, for whatever reason, gets really screwed up and needs a reboot

doing a /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl stop / start solves that problem each time though -- sometimes a restart or graceful doesn't do it