I use AIS::client, which I wrote myself.  it hits a central AIS server, the code
for the AIS server (an older version of it) is in my CPAN directory too.  AIS
is completely passwordless, relying on one-time capability tickets to verify
receipt of e-mails, and then identity tickets in cookies, so the central server
only gets hit at the beginning of a session.

It has  not to my knowledege been tested in mp, but it should work there with
little or no modification.

 I haven't read the writing apache modules book, but if you port AIS::client to
an apache module, I will sing your praises.