Perrin Harkins wrote:
On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 13:20 -0400, Stas Bekman wrote:

It's not that SizeLimit and GTop no longer work, it's the recent linux kernels that have stopped maitaining certain information about shared memory. So the sharing happens, but there is no way to measure it.

My impression was that our measurements of shared memory were never
really as accurate as we thought for copy-on-write, and with the newer
kernels they're now much worse.  I'm falling back to using just the
process size for the moment, and hope to take total free memory on the
machine into account at some point to figure out sharing.

When I was adding this feature to Apache::VMonitor, I did the comparison testing to see when things started to swap and it was giving me the correct numbers. But it was long time ago. Must be some early 2.4 linux kernel.

But as you say a process size should do the trick for those who can't rely on the shared memory information. I remember someone said that *BSDs report it correctly.