Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

After a long promised investigation session, I believe I have pinned it down. It seems to have been introduced by change r160562 when the anon_cnt initialization code was moved around as a result. Didn't have enough time tonight to dig down as to _why_ this is breaking though...

Not entirely sure why this breaks specifically on Darwin and all, but
the following patch seems to make the problem dissapear. Does it fix
the problem you are seeing too ?

Yes, tested with 5.8.5 and 5.8.6 compiled with ithreads, all tests pass.

Thanks for hunting this down, much appreciated.