On Friday 03 June 2005 01:55 pm, Vivek Khera wrote:

> I am building up a virgin FreeBSD 5.4 box to test out my application
> under modperl2.  However, it craps out in the "make test" step... Now
> why does it offer to actually run the test when it *knows* it can't
> run them?

Because often it can. It has no problem on either of the linux distributions I
run on.

> Also, what is the suggested procedure for installing via
> cpan if it can't be run as root?

Grab the tarball from CPAN and install by hand?

> [warning] root mode: changing the files ownership to 'nobody' (65534:65534)

Is that a valid userid?

> [warning] testing whether 'nobody' is able to -rwx /amd/yertle/u/
> yertle1/cpan/build/mod_perl-2.0.0/t
> "/usr/local/bin/perl" -Mlib=/amd/yertle/u/yertle1/cpan/build/
> mod_perl-2.0.0/Apache-Test/lib -MApache::TestRun -e 'eval
> { Apache::TestRun::run_root_fs_test(65534, 65534, q[/amd/yertle/u/
> yertle1/cpan/build/mod_perl-2.0.0/t]) }';
>

> [warning] result:
> [  error] You are running the test suite under user 'root'.
> Apache cannot spawn child processes as 'root', therefore
> we attempt to run the test suite with user 'nobody' (65534:65534).
> The problem is that the path (including all parent directories):
>    /amd/yertle/u/yertle1/cpan/build/mod_perl-2.0.0/t
> must be 'rwx' by user 'nobody', so Apache can read and write under that
> path.

Check what components of that path aren't rwx by nobody. Do you have a umask
that prevents the execute bit being set? Or some other restriction on file
creation? Perhaps something is preventing the tarball from extracting with
the same permissions.

> There are several ways to resolve this issue. One is to move and
> rebuild the distribution to '/tmp/' and repeat the 'make test'
> phase. The other is not to run 'make test' as root (i.e. building
> under your /home/user directory).

Do either of those work?