Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
Mark wrote:

In 2.0.0, if there are heirarchical packages, and Apache2::Reload is
configured to reload the 'parent', it blows away the 'children' package
namespaces (and doesn't reload the children.)  For example, if @INC has:

Fubar.pm
Fubar/Child.pm

And Apache2::Reload reloads package Fubar, it blows away
Fubar::Child::* and only reloads file Fubar.pm.   Only a server
restart can recover from this point.

The actual unloading work is done by ModPerl::Util::unload_package(),
whose behavior is contrary to the docs, which say:

 "unload_package()" takes care to leave sub-stashes intact while
 deleting the requested stash. So for example if "CGI" and "CGI::Carp"
 are loaded, calling "unload_package('CGI')" won't affect "CGI::Carp".

This is clearly a bug.

I only partly understand how unload_package() works, but it seems to
just iterate over symbols in the package and blow them away, without
regard for the actual file from which the symbol was instantiated.

Yup, it's that simple and there is a slightly smarter version in XS
that does check the source of the symbols from.

I tried modifying the code to skip over symbols that correspond
to a key in %INC, which seems logical and works correctly in my tests,
but may not be a complete or perfect solution for reasons beyond
my current testing/thinking.  However, in my tests, it works correctly
if either the parent package, child package, or both are modified.

Comments/suggestions about the correctness of this patch requested.

Correction. Ignore previous patch.  It only worked one level of
heirarchy.  Correct patch is:

Much simpler patch to just skip stashes has been checked in in rev 179448.

If you can try latest-svn and confirm your problem goes away, that would be
fantastic.

That works. Thanks.