William McKee wrote:
-------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
1. Problem Description:

When using Image::Magick (either 6.1.9.4 or 6.2.3) under mod_perl, the
server segfaults. Used at the command line or under mod_cgi there are no
errors.

A core dump is attached. This is my first attempt at extracting a
backtrace from a core dump. I only rebuilt mod_perl with debugging
enabled so am not sure if it is sufficient for debugging this problem.

It looks to me that the system is calling thread-enabled libraries which
does not make sense given that my perl binary is not threaded. My
hosting provided and I used ldd to check the httpd binary and the perl
binary but neither were linked with lib_r which he says is the older
pthreads under FreeBSD.

This may be a continuation of a problem I reported earlier regarding
building a debug version of mod_perl. For some reason, my system is
finding APR_HAS_THREADS defined. Perhaps if I could figure out why that
is defined and make it undefined, this segfault will disappear.

Something is not right here. Your perl is not threaded:

*** /usr/public/bin/perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 6) configuration:
[...]
    usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
usemultiplicity=undef
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=y, bincompat5005=undef
[...]

However the segfault shows threads operation:

#0  0x882fa1d7 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.5
(gdb) bt
#0  0x882fa1d7 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.5
#1  0x882ef27e in raise () from /lib/libc.so.5
#2  0x88361627 in abort () from /lib/libc.so.5
#3  0x885d9c3f in _thread_exit () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.5
#4  0x885d8311 in _thread_init () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.5
#5  0x885cf1cc in _thread_init_hack () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.5
#6  0x885db322 in _find_thread () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.5

Have you built that module with that same perl? Try rebuilding it, first nuking any preinstalled instance of it (especially .so files).