> sounds nice :)

thanks ;)

> if you succeed, is there any chance you could make the logic you came up
> with generic enough to release it as a separate package?  it would be really
> nice to be able to use something like this from Makefile.PL

see below...

>   use Apache::ExtUtils::SomeName;
>
>   [ whatever your API is ]
>
> basically, anything generic that would make it
>
>   o easy to ship mp1 and mp2 modules together
>   o easy to manage mp1 and mp2 modules together where directive handlers are
> involved
>
> would be a _huge_ benefit to the community.  I know I'd jump right on board
> and try to get Apache::Template working with it if the API were slick and
> easy enough :)

heh, actually, that's what my talk at yapc is about. "abstracting
the apache configuration api". for it, i'm writing
Apache(2)::AbstractConfig which i intend to provide an extensible
configuration framework, making it easier to work with configuration
directives. ideally, i'll be including canned data structures and
merging methods, amongst other things.

i was originally just going to ship this for apache 2, but then i
realized the 1.x xs command table api was easy enough to access.

the only tricky thing is juggling loading of mod_perl 2's symbols
over mod_perl 1 in the Makefile.PL/Build.PL to get the directive
stack out of the common config module. i'm sure it could be wrapped
though, or possibly even some stash-fu could occur.

anyway, i'm going to be sharing my results with the list before
yapc, in case anyone has input on any glaring design mistakes i
might make. ;)

.d