On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Nick Pietraniec wrote:

> Thanks, that was it...   Stupid mistake, but there seems to be some
> conflicting docs out there.
>
> I'm trying to get a mod_perl1 module running on mod_perl2 and I seem
> to be having some difficulty.
> The logs are simply throwing "Can't load Perl file: c:/apache2/conf/
> mod_perl.pl for server www.foo.com:80, exiting..."
>
> and it's making it very difficult to see exactly where things are
> dying.  Is my lack of verbosity because I'm in windows?
>
> If I put
> PerlModule Apache::garbage
> in my httpd.conf I get
>
> can't load perl module apache::garbage for server www.foo.com:80
> exiting...
>
> but if I put it in a startup script
>
> PerlRequire "C:/blah/startup.pl"
>
> I get "Can't load perl file: C:/blah startup.pl for server
> www.foo.com:80 exiting...
>
> basically i'm loading this module which uses a pm file and I'm
> getting no info on why things aren't working...   Just that they aren't
>
> Sorry for the newbie question, everything i've found says that things
> should work if you include the compat option and there's not a lot to
> tell you what to do when it doesn't just work :)

There's a couple of things you could try to narrow down
the problem:

- do the modules that don't require a mod_perl
environment pass a compile check (perl -c Mod.pm)?

- try starting with an empty startup file and incrementally
add one module after another until the server fails to
start.

- once you've narrowed down the culprit(s), if it's not
apparent what the problem is, try paring it down to a
minimal case and ask here. One thing you should verify
is that the renaming issues discussed at
   http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html
have been addressed.

--
best regards,