Dodger wrote:

If you're unwilling to let a programmer telecommute, you're still in the
dark ages, and I wouldn't want to work for you anyway.

I am amazed by the technology companies that think that programming
requires physical presence in the 21st century. Yeesh.

This is only true if you restrict the definition of programming to the actual process of writing/testing/debugging source code, checking it into your source management repository, etc. It has been my personal experience that alot of the design breakthroughs happen as a direct result of informal conversations in the hallways, around the watercooler, in the smoking area, etc. This sort of dynamic interaction just isn't possible in a telecommute situation.

Then there is the question of project management. The amount of personal interaction required for proper project management is an order of magnitude greater than that required for development.

It has been my personal experience that telecommuting works best on short-term contracts (3-6 months) when bringing in talent that brings a skillset to the table that's not available in the local market. Given the New York City market, I doubt there are many positions that would meet that criteria. Restricting the job search to the local market also helps to avoid the conflicts that invariably arise when working with folks from very different cultural mindsets.

Ian