Marc Tardif wrote:
[...]
The Mozilla::LDAP::API module was installed from an RPM. I have the source but the makefiles don't work out of the box. I have tried fiddling around with the compilation flags but haven't managed to get the module compiled again. I would prefer to attach to the process with gdb but the problem is that it that the process dies when encountering a problem with the Perl module (see exit(1) in the XS code above).

So you need to set a breakpoint in that code, which is quite tricky, since it won't see the breakpoint before the perl module is loaded. So you need to break at BOOT before perldap_init(). e.g. take a look at:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Precooked_gdb_Startup_Scripts
There is no exact script to copy from but you get an idea on how things can be automated.

I've tried building Mozilla::LDAP::API, but I couldn't build it since I think I don't have mozilla-dev package. Your best bet is to figure out how to build it. since in order to debug it with gdb you will still need to build it with debugging info enabled.

If it was a problem at the startup and if perldap uses some static C variables, you could have used http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/server.html#Dealing_with_Restarts

I have tried printing the restart_count value in my handler and it always returns 2. Could that be the problem?

On the start STDERR goes to the console, so the value 1 goes there. Only on restart it goes to the file that's where you see 2.

But since the problem happens post startup, it's probably not relevant.

Are you using threads?

No, I'm not using threads. How can I make sure mod_perl.so hasn't been compiled with threads?

You use perl 5.6.1, so there can be no threads :)