OK... life is better after re-visiting:

<http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/coding/coding.html#Generating_HTTP_Response_Headers>

and just using:
  use Apache2::RequestRec ();
  $r=Apache2::RequestUtil->request;
  $r->content_type($mime_type);

in the few places where these scripts print their own headers.

I've yet to rewrite/replace the other areas where they print headers (i.e.
Cookies, Redirects, etc.) and plan to use something like:

 use Apache2::Const -compile => qw(REDIRECT);
 $r->headers_out->set(Location => $location);
 return Apache2::Const::REDIRECT;

but for now, it appears that we're on the right track.

Hope this thread can help others.