Lets move this to apreq-dev (at) httpd.apache.org

 ** Remember to remove modperl@ from the reply list.

(mp 2.0.1, libapreq2-2.06-dev, httpd 2.0.51, Fedora Core 2)
Not an issue, but httpd 2.0.54 is out since you're using the rest current :)

If you haven't time to read below but have some working cookie read/write freeze/thaw code or URLs I'd be grateful!
I don't know about freeze/thaw, but I wrote this FAQ :)
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/coding/cooking.html#Sending_Cookies_Using_libapreq2

(I also tried using APR::Request::Cookie but it seems to be for Apache experts only, quite a confusing interface)
HA, I know you're not calling me an apache expert :)

Any help gratefully accepted,
HTH