--- "Philip M. Gollucci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >     fetching/setting cookies
> >     fetching parameters (GET arguments or POST)
> use APR::Request::*
> Its faster as its in XS glue code.

That does look like it will do it just as simply as
CGI.pm.  APR::Request (libapreq) wasn't part of the
httpd or mp2 binary (ppm) so I hadn't noticed it
before.

> >     simple HTML elements
> >     more complex HTML elements (forms, header/body)
> shouldn't you be using templates :)
>
> Though to implement the template engine, I use
> CGI.pm for
> popup_menu() and the like.... Cleaner code, but more
> memory.

I don't have any duplication that would benefit from
templates.  popup_menu() is a good example where
CGI.pm shines.

> I was not aware that Apache2::* or APR::* had
> methods for generating HTML.

I mean having to get into the html code instead of
using the CGI.pm to do it for you.  I tend not to take
advantage of the CGI.pm methods anyway.

> >     print vs. $r->print
> This is drastically faster.. especially if you use
> one print
> per request at the end and/or pass a reference to
> the scalar string.
>
> > Also, the mp2 User's Guide (section 10.9.1) says
> > CGI.pm now takes $r as an argument to its new()
> > function.  What benefit is this?  Is it required?
> For the most part its optional.
> You may need to look at PerlGlobalRequest

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_GlobalRequest_

I'm still confused why this is optional in CGI.pm.
Does it save some cycles by avoiding CGI.pm having to
sniff around for the Apache requestor?