I agree with Eric. I love SOAP for the same reasons. You can argue until the cow comes home and there will still be PHP lovers and Perl lovers (and some .NETters as well). Diversity is important. But creating a happy unity is key.

Eric wrote:

At 10:07 AM 8/6/2005, Tony Clayton wrote:

Quoting Thomas Klausner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi!
>
> Is it possible and advisable to write the complex part of an
> application
> (the Controller, if you like) in mod_perl2 and use PHP as a frontend
> (or
> View) ?

It should be possible, perhaps by calling php from apache subrequests
in
the mod_perl code, but it won't be efficient, and doesn't sound very
pratical.
As an alternative, you might be able to use SOAP/RPC requests in the
PHP
code to offload the backend work to a mod_perl SOAP/RPC server.  Again,
not very efficient or practical.

I don't agree. Ok, sure there is some loss in performance(I choose XML-RPC because it is lightweight next to SOAP IMHO), but I did something very much like this for "social" reasons. Our bosses and many of our lower end people only know PHP. I had also to adopt to some affiliate system code that was and would likely forever be written in PHP. The solution was to use XML-RPC with PHP being the client and mod_perl/apache being the server. It is not that efficient in comparison to a pure mod_perl setup or even a pure PHP system for that matter. But it does end up being very scaleable because many PHP servers can be handled by one mod_perl backend. And it allows all of the presentation to be handled in PHP/Smarty by the people who know how to do that. While at the same time all of the code is in hopefully fairly clean oop Perl. :) It has turned out to be a great compromise for us.

The best technical answer is not always the best answer.

Thanks,

Eric

Lead Programmer
D.M. Contact Management