Title: Mod_perl Apache to encapsulate legacy protocol

I am in process of porting an existing cgi database application over to Mod_perl2 Apache [and learning Mod_perl at the same time]. I have moved all cgi scripts over to registry scripts and am working on moving to handlers.

The app is a server listening for connections speaking a simple in-house developed protocol  and logs information into a database for later display [and manipulation] by Apache based web pages.

I had a thought of scrapping the exiting server, and using Apache as the server for both the incoming data and for the web page interface to the database.

My question is: how to best set up Apache MP2 to accept a legacy protocol?

Thank you,
Christian Werner