Geoffrey Young wrote:
What I don't yet grasp is if adding  to the httpd.conf at runtime is
limited to a particular phase of if I could have any mod_perl handler
actually alter the http config while serving live requests.

well, you probably wouldn't want to do the latter - once you're serving a
request it makes little sense to add a full <Location> or whatnot, since
that directive would just disappear at the end of the request.  you'd be
better off just fiddling with the current request using stuff like
$r->handler than thinking about how to add real httpd.conf directives at
that point.

Yah. I wouldn't want to do it either. It was more of a means to express the ability to alter config at a later runtime, versus doing it during the parse/load phase of the httpd.conf...

Could I have
a mod_perl page whereby the user submits a form, that in turn added a
Location directive to the runnin apache processes?

yes, through means like $r->handler and whatnot.  not really in terms of
Location, at least not that I know about.  but as I said, you probably
wouldn't want to do that anyway.

--Geoff