On Aug 18, 2005, at 5:55 PM, David Hodgkinson wrote:

But you're still trying to optimise prematurely.

I'll need to to a lot of optimizing in the future - but I just want to avoid as many obvious mistakes as possible and compartmentalize where the mistakes are made so I can find them quicker.

Oh, and in this situation, consider running separate apaches for
your different applications. Tune your startup.pl for maximum sharing,
keep MaxClients low and therefore your memory usage predictable.

Done, done and done.

If anyone is in need, i have a partly functional howto on it using FreeBSD Ports, where a standard apache install using DSOs ends up running 3 seperate servers ( 1 frontend proxy + static, 1 mod_perl app server, 1 php/python/misc server)

http://dev.2xlp.com/trac/wiki/ FreeBsdApacheMultiServerSetupUsingStandardPorts

I've since decided to use lighttpd for the frontend proxy/imageserver, but the current version doesn't proxy webdav - so I'm waiting for the next release to come out before I finish that howto (because I run trac/svn off the server)

When both were done I was going to share them with the list -- but now remembering the hell I went through figuring it all out, I'll share prematurely