Yes it also handles that path (no-path)
I heard that some browsers use to add the "/" after the location if it
doesn't end in "/", but I am not sure they do that because for example if I
have an URL like:

http://www.site.com/test

then Internet Explorer doesn't add a "/" after it if /test location is
handled by a mod_perl handler, but it adds a "/" if /test is a common
directory.
IE cannot know if /test is a directory or just a virtual path, so "/" might
be returned by Apache.

Anyway, I am not sure, so I have created a little client with LWP that gets
http://www.site.com/test (without a trailing /) and the page is displayed
correctly.

/test and /test/ are different URL's, and of course may serve different things.

If apache only finds a directory it issues a redirect to /test/ so that relative URLs in any index page work correctly.

The annoying thing that IE does here is that it stores the URL *without* the slash in it's history - so if you want to use autocomplete or the drop-down you have to manually re-add the slash.

That said, IE5 suffered a much, much worse bug. If you submitted a url with a query string a=b it was then impossible to submit a=B without clearing your browser history as IE automatically "corrected" the case of your request based the entry in it's history...

Carl