Frank Maas wrote:

> You state that this is an Apache thing, but I tend to disagree slightly.
> All handlers are defined using a Perl* prefix and this triggers mod_perl,
> not Apache. AFAIK the Apache configuration does not let you tamper with
> the request-phases directly.

You are correct, and had I done more than make a guess I would have seen
that for myself; more generally, however, I was attempting to point out
that I believe mod_perl gives enough control over all Apache phases to
accomplish your goal, either with Config Directives (as I thought) or by
simply adding another handler (as Geoff suggested).

If your handlers are specific to VirtualHost containers, another
approach would be to call your images from a different VirtualHost
(images.host.tld); using mod_rewrite/mod_alias you wouldn't even have to
change the HTML.
 Garrison Hoffman         Codefix Consulting       1.718.210.3445
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://codefix.net/      1.866.456.0584