On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:10:43 -0500
Malcolm J Harwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 December 2005 10:50 am, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 16:43 +0100, Thomas Schindl wrote:
> > > I've now taken a closer look into the whole thing and at the
> > > moment it seems to possible to use mod_dbd to provide the
> > > physical connection on C-level to DBD::mysql. I've already
> > > contacted the maintainer of DBD::mysql and I hope until next year
> > > i get something going.
>
> > Good.  In the meantime, SQL Relay is available:
> > http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/
>
> Has anyone used this? The docs seem to imply you could only have one
> mod_perl instance connected at a time, which would be a severely
> limiting factor under any sort of load.

  I've used it before on a project.  It worked pretty well for what
  I needed it to do which was share persitant Oracle connections
  in a forking Perl daemon where Apache::DBI was obviously not an
  option.

  I also had many server children connected at any given point.
  Are you getting tripped up in the difference between the
  sqlr-listener and connection?  There will be only one sqlr-listener
  per Apache child, but this is a light weight connection.  The listener
  then contacts the sqlr-connection daemon to acquire a database handle
  and do the "heavy" lifting whenever your code needs access to a
  handle.

   Frank Wiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   http://www.wiles.org