This is the main difference:

DSO:
        you need those 2 lines
there's a negligible speed/memory overhead. you'd barely notice it if you ran some severe benchmarking tests
        when mod_perl is updated, you just recompile the mod_perl module

Static:
        you don't use those 2 lines
        the mod_perl stuff is compilied into Apache
        You'll need to recompile Apache every time you update mod_perl.

I would strongly advise using the DSO - its way easier to keep on top of updated mod_perl releases