I fwd'd this to a friend with commit access to twisted. hopefully i'll get a response on clarification.

But from what I understand, the Twisted networking framework works like this: The twisted 'reactor' is single threaded. It uses select by default, you can use poll. The docs suggest that one can specify a multithreaded reactor, but I'm not quite sure. The docs also specify a threadpool, and it seems that the deferred callback system has been implemented into it.

CherryPy is a http server framework for python, and that supports a single or multi threaded server mode.