I'm moving my all of my PerlRun scripts to a new webserver, and have discovered that a few modules which invoke system commands via the backtick `` operator are failing to compile when they reach those commands. This doesn't happen when I run the scripts from the command line; only when run as mod_perl scripts.

I've tried numerous commands with a test perl script and they all get the same error: "No such file or directory." Thing is, these are simple commands, like `date`, `pwd` and `ls`, sans arguments, so what on earth could that error mean?