>> 1. Are the permissions right?
>when launching apache as root, permissions aren't very significant, are they?

... I don't use debian so can't tell if debian does it differently, but I
actually face that error often when I create a new perl module in the perl
lib directory. (since my root's default umask is 027, httpd can't read
it unless I change the permission.)

I understand httpd is started by root but actual service is provided by
forked processes owned by apache (or httpd) user.

I guess the permission will not be a problem if the installation was done
by apt-get. Maybe you can check if the permissions are the same as the
other perl modules.

Good luck.

Ben Kim
Developer