On Feb 10, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
Actually it's a 4.8 machine. The other machines that I've done this
one were both 5.x machines [they worked]

Sounds like it might be a versioning issue.

I'd suggest upgrading the 4.8  machine :)

Ditto, cept it may be worth mentioning that i did compile apache with
suExec tags, tho I am not trying to use suExec and mod_perl on the
same directories/virtualhosts.

here's an idea:
try running a separate apache process with modperl only - assuming suExec and mp2 are both modules and not compiled as a static, all you'd do is this:

# mkdir /usr/apache-custom
# mkdir /usr/apache-custom/modperl
# mkdir /usr/apache-custom/modperl/conf
# mkdir /usr/apache-custom/modperl/run
# mkdir /usr/apache-custom/modperl/sbin

# cp /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf /usr/apache-custom/modperl/conf/

# vi /usr/apache-custom/modperl/conf/
____
ServerRoot "/usr/local/"
Listen 8010
NameVirtualHost *:8010
Include /usr/apache-custom/modperl/conf/##VHOSTFILE##
____

# cd /usr/apache-custom/modperl
# cp -p /usr/local/sbin/apachectl sbin

# vi sbin/apachectl

change a line to this:
HTTPD='/usr/local/sbin/httpd -d /usr/apache-custom/modperl -f /usr/ apache-custom/modperl/conf/httpd.conf'

----

then to start it up...
/usr/apache-custom/modperl/sbin/apachectl start

if you can start things up like that, its mp2 and suexec not liking each other.
if you can't , it's something else