Geoffrey Young wrote:

ack and discuss :)  let's hold off on making any changes until we are really
sure we won't be breaking old platforms.  speaking of breakage, which
platform is giving your grief with this?  randy reported success with win32
so it's something else?

Something else.  My perl/bin/perl script fixes up the libpath info to openssl,
the current install location of perl, etc.  So without the $Config{startperl}
location to invoke perl-as-shell (I had a horrid time with shebang syntax on
non-bash older /bin/sh shells using perlscript) - I'll continue to have
difficulty testing parallel installs.

Your point to perl versions is good; the make_shebang is a hack around something
that can be trivially hacked into the base perl instead (in Config.pm).  Since
perl 'figures this out', my preference is for perl to get it right (or wrong,
and therefore fixed once per platform/deployment strategy.)

So the question; how far back?  I just went to a box with an honest to goodness
5.005.03 sun4-solaris distribution of perl and lo and behold,
startperl='#!/usr/bin/perl' is there.

Which brings up another aspect of tweaking startperl, that is, when meaning to
test several parallel flavors of perl.  But coming back on point, yes I quite
believe this will work across the board.

Bill