Hey Rod,

You're only supposed to get 2 processes on win32.  The win32 mpm
supports only one master process and one child processes (which causes
all sorts of issues and delays when the child process segfaults :-( ).
The child process loads by default with 250 worker threads which are the
"instances" you seem to be referring to.  By default mod_perl loads 1
perl interpreter into the parent process and then clones it 3 times
(tunable - see
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#Threads_Mode_Specific_Directives)
 into the child process.  The clones are then made available to the
worker threads as explained at
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/overview.html#Threads_Support
(someone please correct me if that's wrong - my mp internals knowledge
is still somewhat limited)

So you'll always see 2 processes on win32 in the task manager
processlist though you can also check the thread counts to see the
workers).  Hope that helps somewhat.

 Issac