PerlAuthenHandler requires that you have at least one require directive
and an AuthType directive in place, else it won't be called.

See
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#PerlAuthenHandler

(paragraph beginning with "It's not enough to enable this handler for
the authentication to work.")

  Issac