Lionel MARTIN wrote:
I think that I should better try with LAMP as well, but to be honest, I have never tried to install Linux.
Well then, be prepared for a VERY long and hard uphill struggle. Be prepared to spend hours/days configuring things that install & configure in seconds/minutes under Windows. If you are dependant on wireless connections, then don't even think of it.

I do all my development on Win32, but run my apps on hosted UNIX servers. So after deciding to run my own server I set up both systems to determine the relative merits of each - Apache2/mod_perl2 was a prerequisite. I was fully expecting Linux to win hands down over WinXP in terms of both stability and performance, but I was wrong on both counts. This from someone who was heartily sick of Microsoft products and REALLY wanted to like Linux. In my experience of many different distros, life's just too short for adopting Linux for anything but basic desktop (ie word processing/e-mails/web browsing) work, unless you already know what you are doing. Count this a vote for the Windows combo of Apache2 + mod_perl2 (can I believe I just wrote that?)

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its
contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please
inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you
for your co-operation.