Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

I'd like to flag whether my app is running on dev or prod with a variable that's in httpd.conf ( right now i manually toggle a var in a config file, and its driving me nuts )

Maybe you should consider automating the toggling as part of your build-release script? My config file gets updated or toggled based on the release type. For instance when I make a release to my testing area I run:

$ make_build.pl --version 1.4 --type test ## The release script toggles my config file parameter to test.

The same when releasing-building to production

$ make_build.pl --version 1.4 --type prod ## The release script toggles my config file parameter to prod.