I want my modules to be able to get a the same database handle
anywhere they need it during a single request (if under mod_perl) or
the life time of the script they're in.

At first I was caching the database handle myself when running outside
of mod_perl.  In mod_perl I was relying on Apache::DBI returning the
same handle every time I called connect().  That didn't work.

Then I read a section in Appendix A of "Practical mod_perl" that gave
me what I wanted: http://modperlbook.org/html/appa_12.html

But doesn't that solution have this problem:  It will return a dead
database handle when the connection times out before the Child is
reaped.  In fact, that's just the problem that Apache::DBI solved by
adding the ping() method.

I considered allocating a handle in the pnotes() at the beginning of
every request using a PerlInitHandler, but that is expensive,
especially since many requests don't even use a handle.

Jay

On 5/8/06, Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 17:23 +0200, Lionel MARTIN wrote:
> I'm not sure this is right. Acording to what I read, and to my test, the
> PerlInitHandler phase happens for every request, and not just when threads
> are created.

I called it PerlInitHandle, but it's actually called
PerlChildInitHandler.  It's described here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/server.html#C_PerlChildInitHandler_

It does say that it only runs once per process.  It should not run on
every request.

Despite the difference though, you're correct -- since it runs at the
start of each process, not each thread, using connect_on_init() is
probably not going to work with a threaded MPM.  You should just call
DBI->connect() from within your code instead.  The first request in a
new thread will take the hit of opening the connection.

> The ideal would be to create the
> connection when threads are started, create statement handles against this
> connection, and keep all that until threads are killed.

I'm not aware of a hook for the start of a thread.  However, it's not a
good idea to try to manage a cache of statement handles yourself.  You
should let DBI do this for you by using prepare_cached.  That way, it
will still work if your connection times out from inactivity and gets
reconnected later.

- Perrin