Hi Mark,

that will never work because the oracle tablespace files are NOT in the DBF format that the modules are for but a special oracle format. DBF is a convention anyway - you can name them anything.
Depending on what you want to do you have 2 options:
- there are some vendors selling special and expensive software which can read these files directly -> I do not think there will be perl available... - you build a second DB somewhere in a so called permanent recovery mode - then you can query that db...

cheers

Andreas

Unfortunately, direct access to the Oracle database is not possible as it is off-site. All I have to work with are the 8 DBF files and DBI.pm. ~m

On 5/1/06 11:00 AM, "Mark Galbreath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Our Oracle team exports 8 DBF files to a local directory. Is it possible to > use perl to query these tablespace files directly? Using perl, how would I
> get them into a MySQL database?  Do I need anything besides DBI.pm?

I think there are several modules to read DBF files, but is there no way to access the Oracle DB directly? You could then simply use DBI to query from Oracle and insert into Mysql. A 10-line script would more than suffice for
doing this.  In fact, there is even DBIx::Copy that will automate parts of
this for you.

Sean