Geoffrey Young wrote:
except that it is.  so you're asking to change that.  fine, but it needs
to be decided on by the maintainers (mainly perrin) whether this
separation is, in fact, a good thing, whether we want to pull in the
CPAN version on future releases, or drop it and confuse our userbase who
thought they would be getting an update on the next release, etc.

For the record, I'm thrilled to have Dave's help with this module. I was doing most of the work on it in the past, but have not been keeping up with it. I kind of lost my zeal for it when we discovered how wrong the copy-on-write sharing numbers were.

Separating it out seems fine to me. I'd vote for simply dropping it from the mod_perl distribution if we do that, but if people want to keep it there, I'm okay with that too. Supporting both mod_perl APIs and sending patches to the dev list would be great if we plan to keep it in.

I'll be off e-mail for a few days, but will check in on this when I get back. Maybe we can discuss in person if you guys will be at YAPC.

- Perrin