On Aug 1, 2006, at 10:45 AM, John ORourke wrote:
Excellent, I'd never heard of that. I only found out about Class::DBI yesterday too - next thing you'll be telling me there's a guide that picks out the most useful CPAN modules to stop people reinventing the wheel!

Personally, I disliked the dispatch frameworks out there. They did things I didn't like, didn't do things I needed, and were too hard to patch.

So naturally, I made my own wheel -- and it has killer rims.

Its not terribly difficult to roll your own inspired from what you like in the stuff out there.

My handler has a few config items like:

my  %URL_Dispatch= (
        '/'=> 'FindMeOn::Page::Core::Index',
);
my      @URL_RegexDispatch= (
                # user main , by numeric id
                {
                        'regex'=> qr/^\/user\/([\w]{10})[\/]?$/,
                        'package'=> 'FindMeOn::Page::Core::User::Main',
                        'id_fields'=> ['hex_id']
                },
);

Then I just parse the path , clean it up, and map it onto a module using a Page/Dispatch module i wrote.

The regex suff is damn inefficient right now. I'm just looping an array. I need to update it to do a hierarchy to be limit my match pool- but its still pretty decent and works for me better than the other dispatch stuff out there.

FWIW, I'd suggest checking out Rose::DB::Object over Class::DBI - its not only much nicer to work with from the outset, but its easy to implement over an existing project.