You can usually increase your performance greatly just by tuning your
existing SQL and database.  Run Apache::DProf or the DBI profiler, find
out where the time is being spent, and work on it.  There are many
resources for database performance tuning.  Work on the actual queries
and schema structure, not on the database configuration.  You always get
more from the former than the latter.
Particularly, the algorithms in the code, and you can sometimes(lots of times)
CACHE the results of SQL queries overtop of the "query cache/result cache" on
the DB itself
aka Serialized to disk, or per process / request.

Philip M. Gollucci ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) 323.219.4708

"In all that I've done wrong I know I must have done something right to
deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night."
       <___/