On Sep 6, 2006, at 6:41 PM, Frank Wiles wrote:

   Is that 500MB that "vanished" in used, buffers, or cached?  Just
   because it isn't listed in "free" doesn't mean it isn't "free" from
a "Available memory I can use" standpoint. For example, your system
   will reclaim memory from cached and buffers when it runs out of
   "free".

off my original discovery, a few restarts of apache/pg and i started running into swap- like the original poster.

i haven't been able to run memory down that low on purpose yet-- if you've got any clues into examining the cache/buffers , I'll gladly give it a go.