in the past I've done:

all port 80 and port 443 through proxy. SSL decrypted on proxy server. proxy server reverse proxies to mod_perl server. all port 80 through proxy. SSL decrypted on mod_perl mod_perl handles SSL as well.
        no proxy server.  mp on port 80.  mp SSL on 443

You can do it really any way you want

I'm not sure about proxying the SSL directly.  I never tried.

Serving files from a reverse proxy depends on the reverse proxy.

i'm not sure if squid can do it.
i don't think pound can do it.
apache can
nginx can
lighttpd can

i'm now migrating all my vanilla sites and r.proxy traffic to nginx.

i ditched apache a while back for memory reasons. The other open source servers are faster than apache, but only marginally so. Their real benefit is in memory use- 3mb total for a single vanilla/ proxy vs 4mb apache parent + 4mb each child. its saving me 12 MB, but thats 12 more MB for mod perl.

I went with lighttpd, but its got a severe leak in its mod_proxy.

nginx was working well for a bunch of friends, so i've been testing it out and am happy.

Anyways, remember that proxying to mod_perl will break the remote ip , etc stuff.

But, with a shameless self-plug, i updated Apache::ForwardedFor for mp2
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Apache2-xForwardedFor/lib/Apache2/ xForwardedFor.pm