On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:46:43PM +0100, Simon Wray wrote:

> The error log contains no entry pertaining to the loading of the page.
> Which makes me think the script has been located & executed...

Really? Not just that it didn't even parse the file for SSI? That's how
I'd read it. Change the script, make it exec "touch /tmp/foo" and then
hit the page again. If /tmp/foo has been created, your script ran. I
suspect, however, that it won't be.

> I didn't think I needed to set up SSI because I'm using exec and I have
> ExecCGI configured. I.e. I'm not using Include.

You said:  "<!--exec cgi="/cgi-bin/test.cgi" -->"

What do you call that, if not a server-side CGI include? Why do you
contend that you are not using includes? ExecCGI is an Apache option
telling it that it may execute scripts as CGIs in a given location.
Whereas <!--exec cgi="blah" --> is a SSI which executes a CGI script.
Doubtless, with appalling performance, but that's not what you were
asking about. This isn't in any way a mod_perl question, BTW.

Also, you said that the file is being served from outside the Apache
htdocs tree -- do you mean you access it with a file:// URL rather than
a http:// URL pointing at the apache server? That will certainly prevent
you from executing the include correctly!

/joel