From: Tyler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Hello,
I previously requested some help with setting $ENV{TZ} and using it’s value to modify the output of localtime (i.e. Make it time zone specific). The suggested solution was to use POSIX::tzset() because my perl installation was compiled with thread support. So this helped, however I’m still not able to use $ENV{TZ} to modify the behavior of localtime in a cgi script. Is there some sort of limitation with cgi scripts run under mod_perl (specifically: PerlRun) that would prevent this from working?
Personally, I keep all my dates in GMT and then just render for users with a function that wraps Date::Calc operations. I find it much easier to know that every time value in my system is GMT , and I can use the same standard wrappers off of localtime output to convert for display without ever touching the ENV stuff.

Some people like playing around with ENV-- i try to avoid it at all costs.