On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 07:25:06PM +0200, Clinton Gormley wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 18:48 +0200, Hendrik Van Belleghem wrote:
> > "mock" talked about XSS at this years YAPC::Europe in Birmingham a few
> > weeks ago. He had quite a few examples. His slides are at
> > http://sketchfactory.com/static/mvc.pdf (More Vulnerable Code).
> > It goes without saying that it would be a bit unwise to test the URLs
> > mentioned in the talk.
>
> He briefly mentions HTML::Scrubber in there. I am using
> HTML::Stripscripts::Parser, which also makes sure that tags are nested
> properly.
>
> Anybody have any view on these (or other) modules?
>
> Clint

HTML::Scrubber is not really broken.  The problem is that the
documentation leads the user to do broken things, as was shown with
Planet Plagger.  It is possible to make a secure HTML::Scrubber config,
but you need to default deny everything and then only allow a select
list of tags and attributes - and you need to really think about that
list.  The underlying problem, which I suspect HTML::Stripscripts shares
is that HTML::Parser thinks that the attribute "foo=bar" is different
than the attribute "foo.=bar" (RSnake covers this kind of evasion in his
document fairly well) and your browser thinks that everthing non
alphanumeric before the equals sign is junk.  So without actually
sitting down and auditing HTML::Stripscripts I'd say it probably _can_
be used safely, but odds are most people won't.

As an aside, I'm not sure that it's completely public knowledge outside
people who read my site and people who saw my talk, but CSRF can be
performed from feeds (RSS, Atom).  So you need to defang any feeds that
will be shown to a logged in user otherwise there's the possibility of
doing various bad things(tm).  There's also the obvious problem with
javascript in feeds as well...

Finally, if you're near Tokyo this November, Martin Johns is going to be
presenting what looks like a really good talk on CSRF, with some new
mitigation techniques and a fair bit of new work on the problem at
PacSec (http://pacsec.jp/speakers.html).

mock