On Tuesday 17 October 2006 19:15, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> > I could of course "killall" the apache processes brutally, but
> > even then I can't do "apachectl start". The server won't
> > start up again!
>
> So if you send the kill yourself, it does stop?  And what do you mean by
> "won't start up again"?  What happens when you try?

This can happen if apache is compiled with SysV shared memory support. If a
segment is used for example as scoreboard and apache is killed with SIGKILL
the segment remains and prevents further starting. After a reboot the segment
disappears and the server will start again.

You can check this with ipcs. A named scoreboard is not necessary. The way
shared memory is allocated is defined when APR is configured. Linux supports
all 3 choices. Unfortunately SysV is default. But for me mmap() based shared
memory works best. It avoids this problem.

But maybe I am all wrong and your problem is somewhere else.

Torsten